Josh Shukhman is the founder of Social Change Nation, a platform and podcast that empowers change-hungry entrepreneurs with the resources they need to create a profitable and impactful business. To date, he has hosted over one hundred episodes featuring interviews with successful entrepreneurs whose businesses are making a difference.
In Josh’s episode you’ll learn:
- The foundation of any social impact business.
- How to restore purpose and alignment to your life through service.
- Tips to plug into an uplifting support network.
Plus, Josh is giving 3 lucky listeners 6 month access to his membership program, The Impact Business Hub, which contains tons of invaluable content for social impact entrepreneurs. The winners will also gain access to The Impact Business Hub private Facebook group where they can connect with other likeminded doers.
Click here to enter Josh’s giveaway. Winners will be selected Monday, 4/30.
Key takeaways from Josh’s episode:
1. Social Impact is the New Normal. In the past, companies that had a cause were the exception. But today, 87% of consumers will choose social responsible brands over their competitors, while 75% will refuse to buy from a brand who counteracts an issue they care about. If you’re thinking about launching a business or you have an existing one, integrating a social cause is virtually a requirement. Not only will it help distinguish you from competitors but it will improve consumers’ perception of you while making a tangible difference in a world that needs your help.
2. It Starts With Your “Why.” Josh says what makes or breaks a successful social impact business is the reason they’re doing what they’re doing. Those whose ‘why’ involves personal or material gain (for example, using your social mission as a marketing ploy) almost always burn out, while those who have a genuine, heartfelt interest in the cause they’re targeting are the ones who last.
Searching for your big ‘why’? Josh recommends you reflect on what angers you. “Look at the social problems that really piss you off,” he says. Where do you see injustice in the world? What group of marginalized people do you wish you could help? Anger can be the powerful fuel that inspires you to take action and sustains your cause.
3. Community Helps. Starting a social change business can feel like an uphill battle. But it’s easier with community. Josh recommends you surround yourself with likeminded others who also have a high value on service and impact. Better yet, immerse yourself in a community of doers who are actually actioning upon these values via entrepreneurship. There are tons of Facebook groups open to the public centered around this cause. With community, you will be able to endure the dips and be successful.
If you haven’t already, make sure you check out Josh’s podcast, The Dollar and a Difference Show.